October 25, 2015
It has almost been a year since Daisy came to live with us. She is the feral Foffdaughter trapped before moving. And she has become a project for FoffDad, a lovely project. FoffDad has done a very nice job of socializing Daisy. She allows petting if she knows you. Mostly. Occasionally, I am still greeted by a hiss if I surprise her, but she rapidly settles and comes up for caresses. She can be a bit aggressive with her nails and teeth, but again slowing down the play brings her self-control into focus. She is still hyper-vigilant and quick to flee. Any new sound, even from outside the house, can elicit the terrorized flight. She is allowed out to roam a larger part of the house at night, and she loves this. She has not made much progress in cat to cat socialization, and I am not sure she ever will.
Advice for anyone going down this path would include months of patience. I did not see this cat for three months. She was fed twice a day and her litter box done every other day, so I knew she was in there. But I literally did not see her. She was like a ghost who ate and used the box. When FoffDad started to work with her, he would bring a book and sit in the room on the floor for 30 to 40 minutes each day. Slowly she began to show herself. But the process requires much patience and time. She will always be a feral cat at heart. I realize if she escaped outside we would probably never see her again. She will never be a good cat for a chaotic household with children for instance. But I think we can provide a safe boring home for her, which is what she needs.
We are still FULL. We lost a barn cat last July. Elwood left, vanished, relocated. It is impossible to say but it is a hazard of keeping cats outside. We had had him for nine years. I miss him. I think our cat count is now 15. We are FULL.
No comments:
Post a Comment